Saturday, December 10, 2011

When friends collide via social networking.....

What is it about the anonymity of the internet that turn's average everyday people into online trolls? The other day I innocently posted an article about the Duggar's miscarrying. I thought I would get opinions here and there but was not prepared for what transpired. A few of my friends were no less than completely offensive and actually seemed to intentionally trying to upset other friends that were strangers to them. It was a train wreck and I ended up deleting the post. I thought that would be the end. I thought for sure it would be over because I spoke to the offending friends and asked them not to do it anymore.

I was wrong. I can home to the longest juvenile conversation on my facebook wall that seemed to be intentionally trying to get a reaction and make fun of anyone who had been offended by their actions the day before. Also posting that I should of known better than to think they would not do that. I was so upset. Why would my friend's betray me like that? Why were they purposely being unkind? They already knew I found it unfunny. To put it simply I was just plain disappointed in them. What if I lost friend's because of their actions?

I thought long and hard about what I should do. I have the newest facebook and just hiding my wall seem's to be impossible. I considered deactivating my account for a week in hope these friend's would get the point but that did not seem right. I spoke to them again and told them again expressing my discontent. I just don't even think they understood really and I could not have them doing it again. It is one thing to not care what people think about you and it is another thing to intentionally act like a jerk. My ultimate decision was to unfriend the offending people, although I have kept some on twitter. I am sure they think I hate them but ultimately I just cannot have them trolling my facebook. It was sad it came to that but I feel at this point it was the right choice.

2 comments:

DefinitionOfAWife said...

I actually didn't know that you were that upset about it. I just wanted to apologize for hopping on the band wagon and joining in with the others. Sorry that it brought you to unfriending people that you care about.

Tanya said...

Your actions speak loud and clear.