This year is my son Brandon's second year of kindergarten. I always feel as though I need to follow that statement by the statement he never failed kindergarten last year. Academically he has always thrived but maturity wise he struggled last year. He was one of the youngest kids in his class and his maturity showed that. So rather than have him struggle in grade one because he wasn't ready for full days at school we chose to hold him back. I can honestly say it was the best decision I made as I have seen so much improvement.
This past Friday report cards came out and I was thrilled with what I saw. Academically everything was excellent and socially everything was good or excellent. I knew he was doing well this year as I have not had any notes home or had the teacher pull me off to the side to discuss him melting down (a common occurance last year). Home reading has been a breeze and he is able to recognize most words himself and I don't struggle to get him to focus. Than came the parent teacher interview yesterday and hearing the results there I am beyond proud. My son is a leader in his class and the teacher finds it a huge help because he let's the other kids know what is happening or going to happen. I could see his teacher swelling with pride as she told me.
We live in Millwoods and my son's school has a Punjab program. So it is not uncommon for children new to the country from India to be enrolled there. My son has great speech and because of that many of the kids who don't know much english yet have been placed at his table and he helps them. Excuse me while my heart bursts with pride here. I hope he never loses the want to help and to be a leader, the ability to accept without judgement. These are skills that will take him far in life.
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment