Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Don't Put Me In Your Box

Why are we all so caught up in telling other's how to be? It really is a form of bullying. Expecting everyone to live their lives just as we do. Should my lifestyle as a single parent be identical to that of a bachelor or even a 20 year old? I don't think so, I long outgrew the lifestyle of drinking and partying being fulfilling. Yet there are those that will look at others living a different lifestyle than their own and exclaim how sad it is. Think of some of the times someone has made you feel bad? Likely it was because you were not living up to some expectation they had or living a different lifestyle. To often we are judged on what we have and not who we are. That is just messed up.

Is there times when it is sad absolutely. Times would be when there is illness mentally or physically. Times when someone may be struggling with addiction. Times when that person is not being honored or treated in a dignified way by those around them. Even than is it really functional to judge that person rather than trying to do something productive to help them? If you cannot help or don't want to than would it not be better to just walk away?

Sad
Weird
Evil


These are terms I have heard about myself in my adult life.... heck even in the last year. These judgmental terms say more about the people that said them than they do about who I actually am. Typically said by those who do not know me well. But I recognize they are on a journey as I am and still have life lessons to learn just as I do. Most importantly perhaps they have not earned a spot in my life for their opinions to have any worth because those terms are not something those who know me well will ever use to describe me

The only thing I want for others whether they be friend or foe is for them to live a life that makes them happy. A life with kindness where others are kind to them and they are kind to themselves and others. Live your life with integrity and dignity. As long as you are not doing anything illegal to obtain your happiness than I am happy for you. Live the life you want. Love yourself. The rest will fall into place.

No comments: