Wednesday, November 28, 2012

An Open Letter To My Abuser's Ally

Today you sent me a facebook friend request. Perhaps you felt 4 years was long enough for me to forget what happened or perhaps you have just forgotten. But I have not, I remember.

I remember the day I reached out to you after you told me you would be there for me. I remember your harsh words that day, the accusations that I was infact lying, I remember how you cut me from your life. Do you remember supporting him as he tried to force my children and I on the streets? Do you remember how he shacked up with his mistress and how they made my life a living hell? Do you remember how you sat in the court room as my abuser lied to a provincial court judge and tried to use the courts as a further way to continue his abuse. Perhaps you still think that it is all a lie, perhaps not. You weren't there for my struggles as I healed and the great amount of time that took. You made the choice not to be.

To me you will always be an ally to someone who will always have the potential in them to abuse again. That is a fear I live with for life. You are never a person I can trust with intimate details of my life. Our only connection is my children and unless my former abuser falls to death you and I have no reason to be in contact, that is to dangerous for me. Please respect that.

I am happy now. Free from abuse. Free to be myself without shame, humiliation, or fear. I am a survivor.

I leave you with this quote that has been attributed to being said by Will Smith.

If you weren't there during my struggles, don't expect to be present during my success.

Tanya

No comments: